Frequently Asked Questions
What is a Chromebook?
- A chromebook is a laptop that doesn't run Windows or OS X but can run the Chrome web browser. This allows the user to check e-mail and write papers. It is designed to get the user online faster, without having to wait for the computer to start up. It doesn't run the full Microsoft Office Suite, but it does have Google Docs that allows the user to draft, edit and save Word documents.
Can Chromebooks print?
- Chromebooks cannot hook up directly to a printer via a USB port or Wifi. It will be able to Google Cloud Print to the printer in the SRA Library.
Can Chromebooks get viruses?
- Since Chromebooks don't run traditional Wndows or OS X programs, they usually aren't susceptible to malware written for those kinds of computers. But they are still susceptible to browser-based attacks, so the user still needs to be vigilent.
- Chromebooks don't need and can't run traditional anti-virus software, but to be safe the user should avoid visiting websites that aren't trusted and shouldn't download attachments from e-mail unless the user knows what it is.
Do Chromebooks have good battery life?
- Chromebooks tend to excel in this area. Since they have limited functionality, there is less that is draining the battery at all times. However, it is still the user's responsibililty to charge the device over night so that the device has a full charge at school.
What are my daughter's responsibilities with the Chromebook?
- Students assigned individual Chromebooks are expected to carry the device with them throughout their school day. The Chromebook should be treated with care and charged nightly and as frequently as possible to maximize battery life. Any Chromebook damage or loss should be reported to the school librarian immediately to facilitate a timely replacement.
What if my daughter breaks or loses their Chromebook?
- Students should report the problem immediately to the school librarian. For loss or damage caused by accidental droppage, a $39 deductible will be charged. A replacement will be provided to the student in a timely manner.
What if I do not have internet at home?
- Chromebooks do not come with a dedicated internet connection. Chromebooks are able to sign in to most open WiFi networks, including those at the local library. Some smartphones are able to create a personal hotspot which can be used with the Chromebooks. Some applications do have offline capability.
What training will my daughter receive to learn how to handle their Chromebook?
- During freshmen orientation, students will be taught the basics of Chromebook care.
- Digital citizenship is the term we use to describe the skills and behaviors we want students to show when using technology and the Internet. These skills are taught during Freshmen Skills class during the school year.
- Subject area teachers will provide instruction on the use of particular Chromebook applications during class sessions.